Hot and fruity Caribbean coleslaw
A million miles away from those heavy creamy coleslaw's, this is one to wake up your taste buds. It’s fruity, hot and even healthy. I could eat this just on its own, it’s so delicious. And it’s a wonderful contrast to all that hot barbecued meat. Make a big bowlful!
- 3 tsp mustard, English or French
- 100ml/3½fl oz cider vinegar
- 8 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 100ml/3½fl oz olive oil
- ½ tbsp hot chilli sauce
- ½ savoy cabbage, core removed, shredded
- ½ white cabbage, core removed, shredded
- ½ red onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ small mango, peeled and the flesh cut into matchsticks
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the mustard, vinegar and sugar in a jam jar. Screw on the lid and give it a good shake.
- Add the oil, salt, pepper and hot chilli sauce. Shake again then pour into a large serving bowl.
- Toss in the cabbage, onion, mango and chillies and mix well. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.